MLIS, Western University (2018)
Awarded Beckman Gold Medal in LIS
MA, History, McGill University (2015)
MRP: “Innocence is as Innocence Does!”: Edward S.W. De Cobain, Hegemonic Masculinity, and the Politics of Scandal in Victorian Britain, 1884-1893
BA, History, University of Windsor (2014)
Co-op Librarian, University of Waterloo (2017)
- Collaborated with the Office of Academic Integrity, the Writing and Communication Centre, and BASE program to develop instruction sessions and specialized workshops on citation management software, academic integrity, and information literacy training
- Assisted subject librarians with course-specific information literacy instruction for a variety of disciplines; developed and ran information literacy sessions that applied ACRL Information Literacy Framework principles
- Managed the Assignment and Research desk; Provided reference assistance for students, faculty, and other library patrons
- Coordinated the Research Metrics Framework, a yearly bibliometric study of research impact
Institutional Repository Coordinator, Western University (2016 - 2018)
- Administered the underlying CMS of the university’s institutional repository
- Appropriately organized and indexed electronic resources using controlled vocabularies
- Produced concise monthly reports and infographics detailing various metrics, such as online engagement metrics
- Provided support for graduate students and faculty members, including user support, technical training, and intellectual property information
Digital Projects Coordinator, Uni. of Windsor (2014 - 2015)
- Coordinated digital scholarship initiatives, including digital collections, information visualizations, text analysis, and relational databases
- Supported projects through front-end development, CMS setup and administration, provincial and federal grant writing, and business cases and project proposals
- Assisted with the development and instruction of a unique third-year module that brought together information literacy training, archival materials, and digital tools and methods for public history
Other Employment Experience
Graduate Research Assistant, Western University (2017 - 2018)
- Assisted faculty member with literature review for project on human-computer interaction and mobile application accessibility; contributed to article length manuscript
Editorial Assistant, Journal of Indian Ocean World Studies, McGill University (2016 - Pres)
- Managing the desktop publishing stage for the Journal of Indian Ocean World Studies, an open access journal published by McGill University Libraries
- Creating iterative proofs of articles using Adobe InDesign
- Communicating with managing editors and authors to facilitate timely completion of journal issues
Graduate Teaching Assistant, McGill University (2014 - 2015)
- Assisted faculty members with second and third year undergraduate modules by facilitating tutorials and conferences, guest-lecturing, performing administrative duties, managing course LMS, and marking essays and exams (150 students)
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant, University of Windsor (2012 - 2014)
- Over the course of four semesters, assisted faculty members in the Department of Labour Studies with first and second year undergraduate modules by facilitating tutorials, performing administrative duties, managing course LMS, and marking
 C. Murgu and K. Ivings, “‘Blind Trust is Not Enough’: Considering Practical Verifiability and Open Citations in Wikipedia.” 5,500 words; recently submitted to Journal of Critical Library and Information Studies.
 C. Murgu, “‘Innocence is as Innocence Does’: Anglo-Irish Politics, Masculinity and the De Cobain Gross Indecency Scandal of 1891–3,” Gender & History, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 309–328, Jul 2017.
 H.L.M. Jacobs and C. Murgu, “Questioning the Past and Possible Futures: Digital Historiography and Critical Librarianship,” Journal of Critical Library and Information Studies, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–22, Feb 2017.
 C. Murgu, “DH and the Digital Archive,” in MediaCommons Field Guide, May 2017.
Selected Conference Presentations
 C. Murgu, “(Librarians and) The Modern Research and Publishing Cycle,” FIMULAW18, Western University, London, Ontario, Canada, Apr 2018.
 C. Murgu, “Leveraging Open Access for your Career,” Open Access Colloquium, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, Oct 2017.
 C. Murgu, “Understanding Faculty Ambivalence to Alternative Scholarly Publishing,” Canadian Association for Professional Academic Librarians, Congress for the Social Sciences and Humanities, Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada May 2017.
 C. Murgu, “Local Actions / Global Implications: Economic and Social Impacts of OA Publishing,” SOGS Research Forum, Western University, London, Ontario, Canada Mar 2017.
 G. Lazure and C. Murgu, “The Spanish Republic of Letters Project,” Cultures of Knowledge Visualization Meeting, Politecnico di Milano, Como, Italy, Apr 2016.
 C. Murgu, “‘A Goodly Crop of Scandals to Discuss’: E. S.W. De Cobain and the Mechanisms of Sex Scandal in Late-Victorian Britain and Ireland,” McGill-Queen’s Graduate History Conference, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Feb 2016.
Awards and Honours
Margaret Beckman Gold Medal in LIS, Western University (2018)
Awarded to the graduating MLIS student with the highest academic standing
H.W. Wilson Graduate Scholarship, Western University (2017)
Highest academic average in the previous term
Beacock OSOTF Travel Grant, Western University (2017)
Travel grant to attend a conference or professional development opportunity
Brian Robert Beacock Scholarship, Western University (2016)
Awarded to MLIS student based on academic achievement
McCall MacBain Fellowship, McGill University (2015)
Competitive merit-based departmental fellowship
SSHRC Master’s Scholarship, Research Council of Canada (2015)
Competitive merit-based federal scholarship
Membership in the American Library Association (ACRL, NMRT)
Membership in the Canadian Association for Professional Academic Librarians
Library Data Community of Practice, University of Waterloo (2017)
Multi-year Strategic Planning Committee, University of Waterloo (2017)
Open Access Week Planning Committee, University of Waterloo (2017)
Open Access Working Group, University of Waterloo (2017)
MLIS Student Council, Housing and Student Needs Rep, Western University (2018)
MLIS Student Council, Academic Coordinator, Western University (2017)
CAPAL Western Chapter, Co-Chair, Western University (2017)
Graduate Representative, SOGS Student Council, McGill University (2015)
Graduate Representative, Curriculum Committee, McGill University (2015)
Graduate Representative, Graduate Studies Committee, McGill University (2015)
- Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, OpenRefine
- Mendeley, RefWorks, Zotero
- Camtasia, Fraps
Markup, Programming, and Query Languages
- HTML, CSS, XML
- Python (basic)
- SQL (basic)
Content Management Systems
- D2L, LibApps
- Drupal, DSpace, Digital Commons
- WordPress, OJS, Omeka
- English (Fluent)
- Romanian (Fluent)
- French (Basic)