Last updated: 07/09/2019
Table of Contents
- Continuing Education
- Professional Membership
MLIS, Western University (2018)
- Awarded Beckman Gold Medal in LIS
MA, History, McGill University (2015)
- MRP: “Innocence is as Innocence Does!”: Edward S.W. De Cobain, Hegemonic Masculinity, and the Politics of Scandal in Victorian Britain, 1884-1893 N.B: Later published as article in Gender & History.
BA, Honours History, Literature Minor, University of Windsor (2014)
Research, Instruction, and Digital Humanities Librarian, New College of Florida (2018)
- Working collaboratively with faculty, students, staff and other librarians on established digital projects, as well as providing support for new digital scholarship projects (data viz, network graphs, GIS, text analysis, CMS)
- Coordinating scholarly communications, including OA and institutional repository Open@NCF
- Coordinating OJS instance for open access journal, Selbyana, and serving as technical editor managing file and metadata import/export, open access publishing standards, and licensing
- Coordinating Digital Scholarship Studio and supervising Library Digital Scholarship Fellow
- Cultivating a culture which embraces digital scholarship and methodologies for use in teaching and research
- Providing outreach to non-academic units to develop events and services that promote the Library
- Providing support and expertise in the use of digital technologies for research and learning, including but not limited to digital curation software, text analysis, data mining, mapping, social network analysis and data visualization
- Participating in collection development in assigned areas, liaising with assigned subjects, and lead/participating in library-sponsored events and exhibits
- Teaching credit bearing courses and specialized workshops
Co-op Librarian, University of Waterloo (2017)
- Collaborated with the Office of Academic Integrity, the Writing and Communication Centre, and BASE program to develop instruction sessions and specialized workshops on citation management software, academic integrity, and information literacy training
- Assisted subject librarians with course-specific information literacy instruction for a variety of disciplines; developed and ran information literacy sessions that applied ACRL Information Literacy Framework principles
- Managed the Assignment and Research desk; Provided reference assistance for students, faculty, and other library patrons
- Coordinated the Research Metrics Framework, a yearly bibliometric study of research impact
Institutional Repository Coordinator, Western University (2016 - 2018)
- Administered the underlying CMS of the university’s institutional repository
- Appropriately organized and indexed electronic resources using controlled vocabularies
- Produced concise monthly reports and infographics detailing various metrics, such as online engagement metrics
- Provided support for graduate students and faculty members, including user support, technical training, and intellectual property information
Digital Projects Coordinator, Uni. of Windsor (2014 - 2015)
- Coordinated digital scholarship initiatives, including digital collections, information visualizations, text analysis, and relational databases
- Supported projects through front-end development, CMS setup and administration, provincial and federal grant writing, and business cases and project proposals
- Assisted with the development and instruction of a unique third-year module that brought together information literacy training, archival materials, and digital tools and methods for public history
Records Information Clerk, Town of LaSalle (2018)
- Administered the Records and Information Management Program of the Town, including Laserfiche ECMS, providing assistance in implementation and maintenance
- Developed and maintained procedures to support the Records and Information Management Program
- Provided consultation and recommendations for software or filing equipment which affected the storage, retrieval and maintenance of records and information
Graduate Research Assistant, Western University (2017 - 2018)
- Assisted faculty member with literature review for project on human-computer interaction and mobile application accessibility; contributed to article length manuscript
Editorial Assistant, Journal of Indian Ocean World Studies, McGill University (2016 - Pres)
- Managing the desktop publishing stage for the Journal of Indian Ocean World Studies, an open access journal published by McGill University Libraries
- Creating iterative proofs of articles using Adobe InDesign
- Communicating with managing editors and authors to facilitate timely completion of journal issues
Graduate Teaching Assistant, McGill University (2014 - 2015)
- Assisted faculty members with second and third year undergraduate modules by facilitating tutorials and conferences, guest-lecturing, performing administrative duties, managing course LMS, and marking essays and exams (150 students)
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant, University of Windsor (2012 - 2014)
- Over the course of four semesters, assisted faculty members in the Department of Labour Studies with first and second year undergraduate modules by facilitating tutorials, performing administrative duties, managing course LMS, and marking
 A. Fairweather, C. Murgu, and T. Race, “Diving into Digital on a Small-scale: Digital curricula and technology-based education at the New College of Florida,” Distance Learning Journal, vol. 16, no. 2 (forthcoming in Fall 2019).
 C. Murgu and K. Ivings, “‘Blind Trust is Not Enough’: Considering Practical Verifiability and Open Citations in Wikipedia,” in “Information/Control: Control in the Age of Post-Truth,” eds. Stacy Wood and James Lowry. Special issue, Journal of Critical Library and Information Studies, vol. 2, no. 1 (2019).
 C. Murgu, “‘Innocence is as Innocence Does’: Anglo-Irish Politics, Masculinity and the De Cobain Gross Indecency Scandal of 1891–3,” Gender & History, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 309–328, (2017). Preprint
 H.L.M. Jacobs and C. Murgu, “Questioning the Past and Possible Futures: Digital Historiography and Critical Librarianship,” Journal of Critical Library and Information Studies, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–22, (2017).
Under Review or In Progress
 C. Murgu, “What’s .warc got to do with it?: Librarianship, Digital Literacy, and Supporting New Modes of Historical Scholarship ,” in preparation.
 C. Murgu, “Get out of the Candy Shop: Considering Technostress and Support Strategies for Digital Scholarship Librarians,” in preparation.
 C. Murgu, “Reframing Scholarly Ambivalence to Alternative Scholarly Publishing using Affective Events Theory,” in preparation.
 C. Murgu, “DH and the Digital Archive,” in MediaCommons Field Guide, May 2017.
Asterisk represents undergraduate student
 C. Murgu, “Local Metadata = Meaningful Metadata: A Case Study of Using Local Metadata for DH Development and Developing ‘Buyin’,” Paper, DHSI 2019 Conference and Colloquium, University of Victoria, BC, June 2019.
 C. Murgu, A. Kutlay*, “Putting Local Metadata to Strategic Use: Visualizing 50 Years of Theses Metadata,” Poster, Florida Digital Humanities Conference, UNF, Jacksonville, FL, Mar 2019.
 T. Race, A. Fairweather, C. Murgu, “Diving into Digital on a Small-Scale: Digital Curricula and Technology-based Education at a LAC,” Going Deeply Digital: Promises & Challenges of the Digital Curriculum in Higher Education, NSU, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Feb 2019.
 C. Murgu, “(Librarians and) The Modern Research and Publishing Cycle,” FIMULAW18, Western University, London, Ontario, Canada, Apr 2018.
 C. Murgu, “Leveraging Open Access for your Career,” Open Access Colloquium, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, Oct 2017.
 C. Murgu, “Understanding Faculty Ambivalence to Alternative Scholarly Publishing,” Canadian Association for Professional Academic Librarians, Congress for the Social Sciences and Humanities, Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada May 2017.
 C. Murgu, “Local Actions / Global Implications: Economic and Social Impacts of OA Publishing,” SOGS Research Forum, Western University, London, Ontario, Canada Mar 2017.
 G. Lazure and C. Murgu, “The Spanish Republic of Letters Project,” Cultures of Knowledge Visualization Meeting, Politecnico di Milano, Como, Italy, Apr 2016.
 C. Murgu, “‘A Goodly Crop of Scandals to Discuss’: E. S.W. De Cobain and the Mechanisms of Sex Scandal in Late-Victorian Britain and Ireland,” McGill-Queen’s Graduate History Conference, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Feb 2016.
 “Textual Processing,” Digital Humanities Summer Institute, University of Victoria, Victoria, BC, Canada, June 2019.
 Institute for Research Design in Librarianship — 2019 Cohort, Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, CA, USA, June 2019.
Provost’s Faculty Development Fund, New College (2019)
Provost’s International Funding Award, New College (2019)
Margaret Beckman Gold Medal in LIS, Western University (2018)
- Awarded to the graduating MLIS student with the highest academic standing
H.W. Wilson Graduate Scholarship, Western University (2017)
- Highest academic average in the previous term
Beacock OSOTF Travel Grant, Western University (2017)
- Travel grant to attend a conference or professional development opportunity
Ontario Trillium Foundation Development Grant, University of Windsor (2016)
- Development grant in the amount of 72,000 CAD to collaborate with the Chatham Sports Hall of Fame on a digital project
Brian Robert Beacock Scholarship, Western University (2016)
- Awarded to MLIS student based on academic achievement
McCall MacBain Fellowship, McGill University (2015)
- Competitive merit-based departmental fellowship
SSHRC Master’s Scholarship, Research Council of Canada (2014)
- Competitive merit-based federal scholarship
OGS Graduate Scholarship, Ministry of Education (2014) (Declined)
- Competitive merit-based provincial scholarship
University of Windsor Graduate Scholarship (2014) (Declined)
- Competitive merit-based graduate entry scholarship
Membership in the American Library Association (ACRL, NMRT, IF, LLAMA)
Membership in the Canadian Association for Professional Academic Librarians
Tutorial — Texts + Technologies: An Introduction to Digital Methods in the Humanities, Fall 2019
Tutorial — Aeolus Digital Publishing Tutorial, Spring 2019
“Technology pushes Jane Bancroft Cook Library forward,” New College of Florida News, June 3, 2019, LINK
“New app gives users a new way to explore theses at New College,” New College of Florida News, April 8, 2019, LINK
“Students engage in editing as activism,” New College of Florida News, March 11, 2019, LINK
Regional or State Wide Committees
Digital Initiatives Standing Committee, FLVC (2019 — ongoing)
Executive Member, Florida Digital Humanities Consortium (2019 — ongoing)
Campus Wide Committees
Hiring Committee, Director of ORPS, New College (2019)
President’s Policy Committee, New College (2019 — ongoing)
Secretary and Vice-Chair, Library Faculty Committee, New College (2019 — ongoing)
Events and Promotions Committee, New College (2018 — ongoing)
Library Data Community of Practice, University of Waterloo (2017)
Multi-year Strategic Planning Committee, University of Waterloo (2017)
Open Access Week Planning Committee, University of Waterloo (2017)
Open Access Working Group, University of Waterloo (2017)
MLIS Student Council, Housing and Student Needs Rep, Western University (2018)
MLIS Student Council, Academic Coordinator, Western University (2017)
CAPAL Western Chapter, Co-Chair, Western University (2017)
Graduate Representative, SOGS Student Council, McGill University (2015)
Graduate Representative, Curriculum Committee, McGill University (2015)
Graduate Representative, Graduate Studies Committee, McGill University (2015)
- Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, OpenRefine
- Mendeley, RefWorks, Zotero
Markup, Programming, Frameworks and Query Languages
- HTML, CSS, XML
- Basic Python (nltk)
- Basic R (TM, Shiny)
- Basic SQL
- Hugo, Jekyll
Content Management Systems
- D2L, LibApps, Sobek
- Drupal, DSpace, Digital Commons, GRAV
- WordPress, OJS, Omeka, Arches, Mukurtu
- English (Fluent)
- Romanian (Fluent)
- French (Basic)